Among the different types of floor surfaces, ceramic tiles stand out because they are durable, beautiful and low-maintenance.
However, like any other surface in your home, they require regular and proper cleaning to keep them shining.
DIY Ceramic Tile Floor Cleaner
Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade ceramic floor tile cleaners:
- 250mL white vinegar
- 4L warm water
- A few drops of dish soap (optional)
Other necessary cleaning supplies include:
- Spray bottle
- Wet mop
- Soft scrub brush
- Microfiber cloth
How to Clean Ceramic Tile Floors
This is the simplest way you can deep clean your ceramic tile floors like a cleaning expert.
- Mix white vinegar and warm water in a bucket.
- Add a few drops of dish soap for extra cleaning power.
- Mop your floor with the cleaning solution.
- Rinse the mop and mop your floor again with clean water to remove any remaining cleaning solution.
- Dry the ceramic tile floor thoroughly to avoid water spots or streaks — you can either let them air dry or use a dry mop to speed up the process.
The Magic of White Vinegar
White vinegar is a fantastic natural cleaning agent.
It is non-toxic and acts as a mild disinfectant, making it perfect for cleaning tiles, including ceramic floor tiles.
The acidity of white vinegar helps break down grime, dirt, and bacteria without damaging your ceramic tile floors.
The Role of Dish Soap
Though optional, dish soap can add extra cleaning power to your tile floor cleaner.
It’s particularly useful for tackling greasy spills or stains.
However, remember to use it sparingly to avoid leaving a soapy residue on your ceramic tiles.
How to Remove Stubborn Stains on Ceramic Floor Tiles
For persistent stains on ceramic tile flooring, a thick paste of baking soda and water can come in handy.
Apply the baking soda paste to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes. Then gently scrub with a soft brush.
Rinse the area with clean water and dry thoroughly.
Commercial Cleaning Solutions for Cleaning Tile Floors
The Black Diamond Stoneworks Floor Cleaner is safe for a range of surfaces, including marble, granite, slate, limestone, ceramic, porcelain and glass tiles.
Its formula is hypoallergenic and biodegradable, which makes it a more eco-friendly option compared to some other commercial cleaning products.
The Bona Stone, Tile and Laminate Floor Cleaner is specifically designed to clean hard surface floors.
It’s designed with ease of use in mind: just spray the floor cleaner and mop it up.
This Bona Cleaning Solution is gentle and water-based, making it safe for you and your floor.
If you’re looking for a tile floor cleaner that is versatile and powerful, Bar Keepers Friend Powder Cleanser has been a go-to solution for homeowners since 1882.
This cleanser is designed to work on a variety of surfaces, including steel, porcelain, ceramic, chrome and aluminium.
Bar Keepers Friend cleansers are renowned for their ability to handle tough stains and lime deposits.
While it does have mild abrasive properties, it won’t damage your ceramic tile floor surface.
So, Which Cleaning Solution Should I Use for Ceramic Tile Floors?
You can use a DIY tile cleaner made of white vinegar, warm water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid to clean ceramic tile floors.
Other tile cleaners may include stronger cleaning solutions, like bleach. Just remember to choose the one most appropriate for your ceramic tile finish and don’t scrub in the cleaner too hard.
FAQs About Cleaning Ceramic Tile Floors
How do I make my ceramic tile floor shine?
Ceramic tile floors can lose their shine over time due to grime, dust and residue from floor cleaning products. But it isn’t difficult to get them to shine again.
All you need to do is:
- Follow the steps to clean your ceramic floor tiles.
- Use a microfiber mop or cloth to buff the ceramic tiles.
Note: Work in small sections and buff or mop in a circular motion.
- If your grout lines are looking dingy, consider applying a grout sealer.
Regular maintenance is key to keeping your ceramic tile floors shiny.
Also, avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can scratch the surface of your floors.
How do I keep ceramic tile floors clean?
While ceramic floor tiles are durable, you still need to care for them.
- Regular sweeping or vacuuming keeps dirt from accumulating on your floors.
- Consider mopping on a weekly basis or more frequently if the ceramic tile floors are in a high traffic area.
- Use warm water or a mild detergent to clean your tile floors.
- Clean spills as soon as they happen! Don’t let these liquids seep into your floors and grout.
- Apply sealant to the grout lines each year to keep them looking fresh and clean.