One of the best ways to get any room smelling nice and sweet? Use a diffuser. You just pick your essential oil of choice and let the scent fill the space – calming lavender, energising peppermint, or revitalising orange. But like many other appliances in our home, your essential oil diffuser needs to be cleaned regularly.
Before cleaning, check the instruction manual in case there are special requirements for your particular model. Make sure you’ve disconnected your diffuser from the power supply. You can quickly clean the device by wiping the ultrasonic plate with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Or deep clean the diffuser by mixing water with pure white vinegar and diffusing it.
Love the scent of essential oils? Then make sure you know how to clean a diffuser so you can diffuse your favourite oil without worry.
Why Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser
So it’ll work properly! Essential oil can build up inside the device – both in the water tank and on the ultrasonic plate. This will prevent your device from diffusing effectively. Constant exposure to moisture could also cause mildew to grow.
You’ll need to keep your diffuser clean, but you can always leave the rest of your house to a professional cleaner! That’s a lot less for you to tackle, and a lot more time to enjoy the scent of both a preferred essential oil and a clean home.
How Often to Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser
Ideally, you should rinse out your diffuser after every use, especially if you’re changing essential oils. You don’t need to do any cleaning – just rinse the water tank and give it a quick wipe to remove any excess oil.
Your diffuser also has an ultrasonic plate that vibrates to cause the ultra-fine mist, which you should clean at least once a day.
Finally, you should deep clean your diffuser at least once a month. Dust and oil build-up can prevent your diffuser from working properly.
Keeping a Diffuser Clean
This is a guide for regular cleaning. Ideally you should do this after every use, or at the very least at the end of the day. If you run your diffuser at night to help you sleep, clean it in the morning!
- Unplug your diffuser or disconnect the power supply. Empty out any excess water and essential oils in the diffuser.
- Use a damp cloth with a little dish detergent or soap to wipe the inside of the diffuser. Be gentle!
- Wipe the outside as well, being careful around any ports and openings. Follow with another damp, soft cloth to wipe away soapy residue.
- Rinse the tank, then use a dry cloth to wipe down all parts.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it in some rubbing alcohol.
- Use it to gently clean the diffuser plate and remove essential oil build-up.
- Reassemble your diffuser for regular use.
NOTE: You can use a paper towel to dry the outside of your device, but never use one to clean the diffuser plate. The abrasiveness could damage the plate.
Deep Cleaning an Essential Oil Diffuser
Diffusers need deep cleaning about once a month. Essential oils tend to build up inside the water reservoir and plate. You’ll need to clean your essential oil diffuser to keep it working well.
- Unplug and empty the diffuser.
- Fill the water tank halfway with clean water.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar (or less, if your diffuser is small).
- Plug the device back in and run it for 10–15 minutes. Allow the cleaning solution to work.
- Unplug the oil diffuser and empty out the vinegar and water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe down the inside.
- Clean the ultrasonic plate using a cotton swab and alcohol.
- Wipe the outside using a cloth dampened with clean water.
- Reassemble the diffuser for regular use.
Tips for Cleaning a Diffuser
Make sure to clean your device regularly for longevity and performance. You’ll extend its life span if you maintain it well.
Cleaning your diffuser between uses also ensures your essential oil scents don’t mix and cause an unpleasant experience.
Do not leave water standing in a diffuser for a long time. This could cause mildew and bacteria growth inside your device.
Try not to run your device for longer than 30–60 minutes at a time.